Can I prosecute someone who molested me as a child and I’m an adult now?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I prosecute someone who molested me as a child and I’m an adult now?

If my grandfather molested me at the age of 11 and my younger sister at the age of 9, can I still prosecute for what happened? He scared me and my sister into not telling anyone. I recently told my mother and father what happened. I’m 23 years old now and my sister is 21. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Asked on March 10, 2018 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are very brave to come forward about this.  Being in that situation and taken advantage of by someone who was supposed to protect you and coming through it all can only mean that you are a survivor and that there are only good things ahead.  By prosecute do you mean criminally or civilly? You can sue your Grandfather in a civil law suit.  You have 7 years after turning 18.  You and your sister should seek out a very good personal injury attorney to do so as soon as possible.  Criminal prosecution is, of course, done by the District Attorney. Florida did a wonderful thing in 2010.  They took away the statute of limitatios in sexual abuse cases where the minor was youuger than 16.  So please go and speak with an attorney who can help be the liason for the DA and see if you can go after him with everything you have.  The therapy is a great idea as well. Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption