Can I live with someone romantically if separated for 2 years but not legally divorced?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I live with someone romantically if separated for 2 years but not legally divorced?

I have been separated for a little more than 2 years from my ex, but due to cost, we have not been able to get legally divorced.I am currently looking into what I maybe able to do when wanting to move

in/live with someone in a romantic manner without having to worry about my ex trying to claim adultery and take me to court over that situation. We have had separate addresses for 2 years and have been filing single on our taxes for 2 years as well. I do know that my state does not acknowledge

Asked on December 4, 2017 under Family Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you can not afford a full fledged divorce in South Carolina, can you go before a Family Court Judge and get what is called an Order of Separation and Maintenance?  Generally Family Court is a place for pro-se litigants to do things on your own.  If your husband agrees then go together and ask the court to issue the order, which will have the same effect as a legal separation.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption