Can I have my criminal record sealed from public view?

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have my criminal record sealed from public view?

Asked on October 8, 2014 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It may be possible. It depends on several things, some of which are: what the charge you were convicted of was; how recent was the conviction; whether or not you have had any other convictions already cleared from your record; and the state that you were convicted in.

Typcially only a misdemaenor charge can be cleared or "expunged" and it must not have been a recent conviction (usually it must be several years old). Also, many times only one conviction can be cleared (not multiple charges or later charges). The fact is that each state has its own rules and procedures for obtaining an expungement. Note: federal convictions cannot be expunged at all.

What you should do now is to google the word "expungement" and the name of the state that you were convicted in. You should be able to find some basic information regarding the requirements for clearing your record. If you still have questions, you should consult with a criminal law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption