Can I have my 2 felony drug possession charges erased from my record?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have my 2 felony drug possession charges erased from my record?

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, Montana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Potentially you can have your felony convictions "expunged" from your criminal record. An expungement is a proceeding where a petition is filed with the court usually by an experienced criminal defense lawyer five or six years after his or her client has been convicted of a crime.

Not all "expungement" requests are granted. The court looks to see what crime is sought to be "expunged", how long ago the conviction happened, what the person who was convicted has done since, and the reasons for the "expungement". If the "expungement" is granted, the conviction is erased from one's criminal record.

I recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to see if an "expungement" might be worth looking into.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption