If I got a DUI in one state, can I get a license in another?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got a DUI in one state, can I get a license in another?

My license is not suspended; I was only required to have a ignition interlock which I already have and only need it for another 2 months. The job I am getting in another state requires me to have a DL. So should I just look for a job that doesnt require a DL?

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, the systems do talk to each other. When you apply for the license in the new state, your old license, which is suspended will need to be turned in, which means the new state will know there is a suspension on it. This means you probably won't qualify for a driver's license in the new state until your conditions of the suspension have been met and the ignition interlock is taken off. Either apply and wait for the two months and see if you can extend your state date or in the interim look for a position that does not involve a driver's license requirement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption