Can I have both H1B and F1 visas active at the same time?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I have both H1B and F1 visas active at the same time?

I am currently in India and have an H1B visa stamped. However I plan to pursue a master’s

degree in the US. Can I have both H1B and F1 visas active at the same time? How can I make

maximum use of both? Can the H1B be transferred to a F1 during school and back to H1B

when I start working?

Asked on January 22, 2017 under Immigration Law, Minnesota


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can have both visas in your passport but you can only have one status at any given time.  If you are going to pursue a master's degree full time you must be in F-1 status and once you start working it would have to be a change of status to H-1B through your petitioning employer.  The fact that you may have a valid H-1B visa in your passport is not necessary an indication that you are in valid H-1B status if you do not have a H-1B employer at the time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption