Can I get out of a sublet early or can sublettor sue me?

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get out of a sublet early or can sublettor sue me?

I have June and July outstanding in lease, I’ve paid $140 towards June but lost my job and have to move back home. Can he sue me for the remaining amount (at $350 a month the outstanding balance is $560)? How would it affect me, having no assets and already in debt to hospitals with collection agencies calling. Would my wages be garnished? I have no ability to pay him now nor will I any time in the future (I’m wanting to go back to school) so what should I expect to result from legal proceedings?

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like you credit has already taken a hit.  The landlord may sue you and get a judgment in the state you are renting.  However, he will have to file papers in the state you live in to enforce it.  Yes, the landlord can garnish your wages if he domesticates the judgment in the state you are working in and enforces it this way.  He can also levy your bank account and get the money that way.  However, it is unlikely the landlord will know where you are living so the chances of his fiding this out is slim, plus he may not want to spend the money to chase you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption