Can I get out of a speeding ticket

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get out of a speeding ticket

I was driving and I was on the right
side of a semi truck and the lane comes
to the end and turns into a single so I
sped up to beat the truck so I didn’t
get pushed off the road and the cop said
I went 50 in a 35

Asked on September 6, 2017 under General Practice, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It is doubtful that you can get out of the ticket entirely: while you would argue "exigency" or "necessity"--that you had to speed to stay safe--the counter is that you could have slowed down and let the truck get ahead; speeding was not strictly required.
However, if you have an otherwise clean record, since there are some mitigating circumstances (even if, as discussed above, you did have another option), it is likely that the prosecutor will let you plea to a lesser offense and/or fewer miles over the speed limit. Make sure you show up to court a little early and speak the prosecutor, discussing the situation with him; he may offer you a good plea deal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption