Can I file a restraining order or something elseagainst my ex-husband’s wife for harassing me via text messaging?

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file a restraining order or something elseagainst my ex-husband’s wife for harassing me via text messaging?

I do not respond to her texts because conversation regarding our children is between me and my ex-husband and not her. She is very demanding. It becomes cumbersome and is wearing me thin, emotionally. I have requested of both she and my ex that she discontinue to text me and that anything dealing with the children should be handled between me and my ex only. I do keep copies of texts that she sends.

Asked on April 22, 2011 under Personal Injury, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are more and more complaints to the police regarding harassment via text messaging.  It has been lumped in to cyber crimes, along with e-mailing, SMS messaging, etc.  You can certainly look in to the matter in your county, as each state will be dealing with it themselves and the law will vary from state to state.  If the police will allow you to file a complaint - and make sure that you have the texts saved in order to prove the matter - then you should be able to file a claim for harassment and possibly for a restraining order.  Check in to it.  The situation is not good for you and you need some relief. Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption