Can I file an harassment suit against condo association that is trying to collect a discherged debt?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I file an harassment suit against condo association that is trying to collect a discherged debt?

My bankruptcy was discharged 5 years ago for my townhouse and condo fees. Yet the condo association has been after me to pay additional fees saying it hasn’t transferred in foreclosure to another party. The fees are over $70,000 and it has put that on my credit report saying I owe it this. In addition, it callsmy workplace 4 times a day using collection companies, now it wants me to sign something that allows it to rent it or it will sue me. This debt was discharged.

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


Jeffrey D. Larkin / The Larkin Law Firm

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

HOA dues that accummulate up to the date you file bankruptcy are dischargeable.  HOA dues that accumulate after the filing date but before the date the property is out of your name by foreclosure or otherwise are post-petition debts and collectible.  To the extent they are harassing you for post-petition dues incurred after the date you filed BK then they can do that.  If they are harassing you for dues owed prior to the date you filed BK then this is a discharge violation and you should have your case reopened and file an Order to Show Cause for violations of the BK discharge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption