Can I drop the charges against someone 6 months later?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I drop the charges against someone 6 months later?

I was a victim of sexual assault 6 months ago. The idea of following through with the charges has been haunting me. I’m used to just dealing with things on my own, however I felt intense pressure from my family to go through with this. Now that I have I’m wondering if it was the best thing for me to do. I know what they did to me was wrong but I just dont want to go through this whole process of pointing fingers and dealing with the court system. If there was a way to go about getting this dropped, how would I do so?

Asked on November 14, 2016 under Criminal Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not to drop charges and decline prosecution rests with the prosecutor and not with the alleged victim. What that means is that a case may be prosecuted over their objections. While the states case would be stronger with your testimony, so long as there is other evidence to support the charge, the case may still go forward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption