Can I dispute the police report

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I dispute the police report

I was rear-ended and pushed into the car infront of me. The other drives say they
can’t be sure who got hit first. The driver who hit me admitted to be looking
away for a few seconds before he hit me. The police did not take a statement from
my adult daughter who was in the car. I was not cited but assigned fault on the
report. The report stated the other driver was distracted , but I was at fault
since my front end had the most damage. Can I fight the assignment of fault. I
was stopped at a red light when this occured.

Asked on August 1, 2017 under Accident Law, Nevada


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Since you were stopped at a red light when rear-ended, it doesn't make sense that the police report says you were at fault.  The driver who hit you is at fault. 
Unfortunately, it is practically impossible to get a police report changed.  However, in your case you could have an accident reconstruction expert challenge the findings.  The make and model of the car you were driving may be the reason why you had more front end damage when pushed into the vehicle ahead of you. Were there any video security cameras from nearby businesses that may have recorded the accident?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption