Can I completely change my name in a divorce in Nebraska?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I completely change my name in a divorce in Nebraska?

I’m getting divorced and don’t want to restore my maiden name but instead
adopt a completely new name, changing my middle and last name. Can I
include that in the divorce proceedings, or will I have to petition the court
later? This is an uncontested divorce with no children from a short four-year
marriage. My husband and I have agreed to file pro se, but in the forms
provided by the state of Nebraska, the wording in the complaint for
dissolution of marriage says ‘Wherefore, I request the court… Restore to me
my former name of…’

Asked on October 10, 2016 under Family Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If it's a totally new name, not your maiden name, you have to change it legally through a separate process--the one for name changes generally as when any person chooses to change his/her name (e.g. an adult child deciding to sever ties with his/her family by taking a new name); it has nothing to do with your divorce, since you are not re-taking the name you had prior to marriage. You can get instructions on doing this from the clerk of the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption