Can I collect money from a closed business that owes us money if the owner has opened another business?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I collect money from a closed business that owes us money if the owner has opened another business?

My company has an outstanding invoice for a CA based company that has closed, but the owner of that company has opened another business using the same phone number and e-mail. The name and listed address have changed, but nothing else has. He owes us a considerable sum; what actions can we take to settle the outstanding balance?

Asked on June 17, 2011 under Business Law, Washington


Paul G. Minoletti / Law Offices of Paul G. Minoletti

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Is this company run by an individual or other business entity?  Have you made a demand?  Are there assets available to pay? You may need to pursue legal action.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption