Can I be responsible for a check that my employer put a stop payment on?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be responsible for a check that my employer put a stop payment on?

I got a check and had it for two weeks before I cashed it. A week after, I cashed at check cashing place my employer put a stop payment and told me she that she had said not to cash it. I never received the message. Now the check cashing place says that I’m responsible for the money.

Asked on May 1, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are responsible to the check cashing place for the money, because they gave you money based on a check you presented to them; when that check was dishonored and not paid to them, you have to return the money you received from them. You are responsible, not your employer, because you, not your employer received the money. 
If your employer should not have stopped the check and still owes you money (e.g. wages) you can sue you employer for the money they owe you--but you still have to repay the check cashing place.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption