Can I be arrested for not attending court date?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be arrested for not attending court date?

I recieved a ticket for parking in front of a
driveway. No fine, only a court date. Of course
it is on the same date as my new job
orientation and they refuse to reschedule. What
would happen if I missed the court date, but
called the next day to see what I could do?

Asked on July 18, 2018 under General Practice, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is unlikely that you would be arrested if you do what you describe, but it possible that a "bench warrant"--that is, a type of arrest warrant--would issue for you. If you miss a traffic/municipal court appearance, the court has the power to issue a warrant for arrest--it is up to the discretion of the judge. Most judges are not too quick to do this, but they do have the power to, and you might get a judge who takes missing court very, very seriously

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption