Can co-tend to deny me access to barn on our land

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can co-tend to deny me access to barn on our land

Sister and I each have an equal undivided interest in 8 acres.
There is a barn on the land that I have been using to store
boxes of personal property along with tools I use to keep area
clear of weeds. She has had the locks changed and will not
give me a key. I thought neither of us could deny the other
access to buildings on the property that is not being used as a

Asked on December 16, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Co-owners of real estate have equal rights to the use of all parts of the property. In other words, one owner cannot block or otherwise deny access. If you can't work things out with your sister, you will need to take legal action. At this point, you may want to consult directly with a local attorney. They can then best advise you further after hearing all of the details of your case. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption