Can an apartment complex charge me fees after they evicted me 2 months ago?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an apartment complex charge me fees after they evicted me 2 months ago?

I was evicted 2 months ago and was able to find a new apartment. The previous apartment cleared me of all charges at the time so I could move into my new apartment. Now they are trying to push the debt collector on me and want me to pay roughly $900. When I was evicted the 3rd and had paid for that months rent already. Also, I was not notified or taken to court during this whole process and they only gave me one day to move out.

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you vacated the rental that you had where there was an issue as to money owed the landlord, from the question that you have written, it appears that there is still some issues that the landlord has with you for unpaid rent since he or she has apparently retained a debt collector as to you.

If you were evicted several months ago where you owe money for past rent or damages to the former rental, the apartment complex where you were can seek the money it claims is due it.

I suggest that you contact the former apartment complex to see exactly what the charges claimed against you are for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption