Can alimony be reduced when I am unemployed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can alimony be reduced when I am unemployed?

Divorced finalized in 9/2015 in Santa Clara County, CA.
I am unemployed as of Jan 2019.
Can alimony be reduced until I am working again?
If so, what are the requirements and do I need a lawyer to file the paperwork?

Asked on June 20, 2019 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Changed circumstances such as a change in income are grounds for a modification of spousal support.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause to request a hearing . Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing. Include the date, time and department  of the hearing on the Order to Show Cause. File the Order to Show Cause with the court and your income and expense declaration signed under penalty of perjury and any additional supporting evidence of your request for modification of spousal support. Also file a proof of service (court form). Mail a copy of your court-filed documents to your ex to provide your ex with notice of the hearing.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing. You can file your documents with the court without an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption