Can a roommate sue for bills and rent that he paid on my behalf if I have offered to pay something each month?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a roommate sue for bills and rent that he paid on my behalf if I have offered to pay something each month?

I have lost pretty much everything in the the last 2 years and have nothing but debt to my name. My former roommate paid 3 months rent and bills, without me asking him too, on my behalf and now he wants it all. I want to pay him and will eventually but he will not accept my offer to a payment plan of what I can afford to give him each month. I am not trying to get out of paying in any way, whats right is right but is he not being unreasonable to not agree to a payment plan and sue me for what I do not have? It will take a year at most to get him totally paid.

Asked on August 25, 2011 South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It was a nice gesture that your former roommate paid three (3) months of your share of the rent and bills when you were unable to do so due to financial hardship.

Your former roommate can sue you for repayment of the monies expended on your behalf even though you have offered to make monthly installment payments each month to help whittle down what is owed.

Personally, for your former roommate to sue you for the amount owed makes little sense given the fact that you are willing to pay what you can monthly. You should agree to provide your former roommate a promissory note for the amount that you owe setting forth certain monthly payments with a stated interest amount accruing on the unpaid balance and provide him with the signed document.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption