Can a previous employer use my work email that has my name in it to continue communicating with clients

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a previous employer use my work email that has my name in it to continue communicating with clients

Example first name.last name company
I have been gone for three months and they
continue to use my email to communicate with
customers leading them to believe it is me.

Asked on January 4, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, they may not do this, and in fact, it is possible that this constitutes identity theft, or least a misappropriation of your "likeness" for commercial gain. They are free to in their emails to  reference that you used to work there and that your matters are now being handled by "John Doe", but they cannot represent themselves to be you. You may wish to inform that you will take legal action if necessary and will also hold them liabe for any costs or liability you incur due to anyone believing these emails emanate from you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption