What happens if i do not pay my fine or go to court?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if i do not pay my fine or go to court?

I got a ticket for driving without a valid license or permit and got a 122.50 fine. i was issued the ticket on 10/19/2018 with the due date of 11/20/2018. however the only thing thats marked is power of attorney ,, the court appearance required is not marked. So again my question is what happens if I don’t pay the fine by the date given or go to court what will happen to me?

Asked on November 19, 2018 under General Practice, South Dakota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The fine will increase if it is not paid by the deadline.
Since no court appearance is required, you are only looking at an increase in the fine. If court appearance required had been marked, and you did not appear, you would be charged with failure to appear and a bench warrant would be issued for your arrest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption