Can a non-professional family member trustee ask $50 an hour for Trust work?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a non-professional family member trustee ask $50 an hour for Trust work?

Our trustee is asking to be paid this money for the work that he has done. He currently wants $50,000 for handling a $400,000 estate. Do we, the other beneficiares have the right to request documentation, hours worked on transaction, phone records, etc. to justify his request? He also feels that he deserves $40,000 for handling the sale of the Trust’s property, real estate agent fees, etc. The value of the house was $200,000.

THis trust is in the state of Illinois

Asked on October 4, 2018 under Estate Planning, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Illinois does not have a statute that sets a trustees fees.  It is determined under the statute that says "reasonable" compensation and "reasonable" is determined by the courts.  If you think the fees are unreasonable and excessive you need to challenge them and you will need to hire your own attorney to do that.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption