Can a landlord change the terms of a lease without notice?

UPDATED: May 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord change the terms of a lease without notice?

I signed a lease back in March that says “Management shall be responsible for Water, Sewer, and Trash Collection”; I initialed by this. They now have had a “change in policy” and are charging me for each of those 3 items. There is a “Terms of Agreement” section which states, “The terms of this agreement may be changed or, Good Neighbor Rules and Policies, adopted by Management upon thirty (30) days lawful written notice to Resident.” I never received a notice from them about it (just the bill). I was wondering if I still had to pay for this even though it said they would pay it in the lease?

Asked on May 24, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The landlord can change the terms in your lease subject to that provision you quoted which requires 30 days written notice.  In order for the change in terms to take effect, you have to receive the requisite 30 days written notice.  Since you didn't receive notice, you can argue that you should not be paying for the water, sewer, and trash until you receive the requisite 30 days written notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption