If house gets auctioned off for taxes, what if it does not make enough to pay the taxesoff?

UPDATED: May 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If house gets auctioned off for taxes, what if it does not make enough to pay the taxesoff?

Who pays the balance?

Asked on May 24, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If a property is sold to pay off a lender - such as in a foreclosure action -  to pay a tax or utilities line - as it appears here, the amount that remains if there is not enough made from the sale is called a "deficit."   The party holding the sale can then get a "deficiency judgement" against the property owner.  This would be you I am guessing.  The judgement can be executed on or collected like any other judgement: wage garnishment, levy against personal property, etc.  May I suggest that you get some help here with all of this?  I am not sure exactly what can be done at this point in time but you may want to see if the deficiency can in any way be waived.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption