Can a judge put a lock device on my vehicle?

UPDATED: May 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a judge put a lock device on my vehicle?

My husband had accident. Found out he had no license from a 20 year old fine in another state. Nobody but him was in the accident. Now the judge is planning to lock my car for 30 days. Can I do anything? If they lock my car, he can (and most likely will) lose his license. The car is in my maiden name.

Asked on May 20, 2011 under General Practice, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I really think that it may be best for you to consult with an attorney in your area about defending your husband in this matter and trying to help mitigate the matter as it relates to the car.  The fact that the car is in your name alone is somewhat good but really his access to the vehicle will come in to play.  The fact that you are married and living in the same house kind of implies easy access.  I think that if you try and take care of the old fine and have his license reinstated and do what ever the court asks regarding a fine or penalty you should be ok. But it is always good to have a little muscle in your corner. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption