Can a former employer keep you from entering the premises?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a former employer keep you from entering the premises?

I quit my job; I got into a verbal spat with one of the managers. Talked to the owner and the manager and it was decided that if I wanted to come back and work I would have to wait 2 months. I decided I didn’t want to go back and now he won’t even allow me in the establishment at all.

Asked on June 12, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the place of business is a place of public accomodation, such as a mall, a store, a theatre, a restaurant, there are limitations on the management's abiltity to exclude anyone; in that case, they *might* not be able to keep you out, though since context and circumstances matter (e.g. how acrimonious was any dispute you had? were any threats uttered? etc.), you should consult with an attorney who can evaluate the circumstances to provide a dispositive answer.

If the place of business was *not* a place of public accomodation--e.g. it was an office, a factory, etc.--then the management has an absolute right to determine who is allowed on site, and may definitely keep you out if they want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption