Can a employer change my job function and place I work to a job that I did not apply for or want.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a employer change my job function and place I work to a job that I did not apply for or want.

I have worked in the same position for 6 years. One day my boss for a year comes
in and tells me that I am reporting to a new manager to do a different job. The
new boss tells me I need to move to his location. My job can be done on-line. 1.
I do not understand why my desk has to move I am only 30 minutes away. 2. They
are telling me I am going to have to do my current job and the new training job
which I did not sign up for for or apply for from now on with no end date in
site. They have not provided more compensation. They do not have a new desk at
the location they want me to move to. Is this legal?

Asked on January 23, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is completely legal unless you have a written employment contract for a defined, set, or definite period of time, such as one-year contract, which has not yet expired and whose terms prevent this, such as by defining contractually your job and location. Otherwise, except as set by a contract, employment is "employment at will," which means the employer controls whether you have a job, where, for what pay, at what location and with what duties and titles, and can terminate you if you refuse to do the job they define. Under employment at will, the employer can change any/all aspects of your job at will--it does not matter what job you have been doing, applied for, or want. Your only recourse would be to find a different job, if you no longer like this one, and resign.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption