Can an employee seek compensation for previous work related travel time?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an employee seek compensation for previous work related travel time?

I had just returned from training and I was informed that I was eligible for work related travel time compensation and I was paid. I had similar training a couple of years ago and was informed by my manager that I should have paid, however he chose not to because he feels training is compensation alone. He was spoken to about that and I was assured going forward that I will be paid for traveling. He has done it multiple times to other co-workers as well .If I can retrieve all my paperwork for the trip I took 2 years ago, do they have to compensate me?

Asked on September 25, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you were an hourly (not salaried) employee at the time of the earlier trip, and the training was *mandatory*--required by the employer, not merely supported, encouraged, etc.--then you should have been paid for the travel time. However, a wage and hour complaint may only be brought for 2 years after the time the claim arose--i.e. after the return date of the trip--so you may be out of, or just about out of, time. And, of course, taking legal action against your employer will have a drastic impact on your relationship with the employer; even without engaging in any provable illegal retaliation, they could, for example, not give you new opportunities coming up, or smaller raises or bonuses, etc. Think carefully about taking legal action for what may not be a large amount of money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption