Biological father died but is not listed on my birth certificate only on baptismal and other records do i have claim to his estate?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Biological father died but is not listed on my birth certificate only on baptismal and other records do i have claim to his estate?

i was born in PA 46 years ago out of wedlock (he was having extramarrital affair in PA with my mother while he was working there). biological father is from louisiana. His name is not on my birth certificate (but ironically is on my sisters which is not his biological child but they were living together) he came to see me once or twice but never paid support my whole life. he recently died. can i ammend my birth certificate and am i entitled to anything from his estate? i do keep in touch with other members of the family and they acknowledge me but i dont want problems. i live in texas.

Asked on June 18, 2009 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your loss.  Louisiana carefully regulates who can and can not inherit from a father's estate.  They make clear and distinct differentiations between legitimate and illegitimate children, children who are acknowledges and who are considered "natural children" and further if a father dies with a Will or without.  What counts for "acknowledgement" also matters.  The fact that you were conceived in PA and resided there with your parents for a time may count.  Your best bet is to contact an attorney in LA who specializes in this type of law and seek consultation.  They will be able to answer what you need to inherit.  You can start here at  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption