Should I take an auto accident acse to small claims court since I won a ruling through arbitration?

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I take an auto accident acse to small claims court since I won a ruling through arbitration?

An auto accident case went through arbitration and my insurance company won the ruling, stating that I was not at fault. Due to my coverage my insurance company will not be able to assists me further in having the other insurance company pay for damages to my vehicle. They have sent me all the documents of the arbitration and information needed and suggest I file a claim against the other insurance company in small courts claims. Will the court rule in my favor?

Asked on January 6, 2013 under Accident Law, Hawaii


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You first need to reduce the arbitration award to a judgment in state court before it has any benefit for you with respect to the small claims matter you wish to pursue against the driver of the other vehicle and his or her insurance carrier.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption