are we able to close on newly purchased home in Alabama by mail

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

are we able to close on newly purchased home in Alabama by mail

We will not be able to attend closing on our newly
purchased property in Alabama because we live in
Massachusetts Can we sign the docs and return by mail to
closing agent

Asked on April 4, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, closings can be done by mail, particularly if you give your realtor/agent a power of attorney--it can and *should* be an extremely limited one, which by its terms only applies to this one transaction--to enable him/her to sign anything that needs to be signed the day of (i.e. not advance). This is how I sold my father's home in FL after he passed away, for example--I did not travel from NJ to FL for it, but executed certain documents in advance and provided a POA for anything else. The realtor should know how to do this; if not, a real estate attorney will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption