Am I entitled to reimbursement of the sales tax on my next purchased vehicle after mine was totalled.

UPDATED: May 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to reimbursement of the sales tax on my next purchased vehicle after mine was totalled.

Our ’07 Dodge Caliber was a total loss from a car accident. Is it Ohio Law that I am entitled to be reimbursed for the sales tax on my next purchased car to replace the totalled one? What ORC section if so?

Asked on May 8, 2009 under Accident Law, Ohio


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not an Ohio lawyer.  I've taken a quick look, and wasn't able to find anything like this in the sales tax law.

If you buy your next car from a dealer, you can ask them, because they are the ones who will have to collect the sales tax, and if there is any such law they would surely know about it.  You can count on them to help you with this, if it exists --after all, if you have (say) $500 less sales tax to pay, they will use that as a reason to try and sell you $500 more car!

Please don't get your hopes up.  Sales tax is based on the actual transaction, usually, not on what happened to anything else you bought before, and sales taxes on cars in particular have very few exceptions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption