What canI do about a garnishment?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do about a garnishment?

After 2 years of paying a voluntary repo I was garnished. The creditor refused to disclose any account info before and after the judgement in an effort to block pay off. So after replying and having the garnishment reduced to what I was already paying monthly, Idisputed the amount owed with the credit bureas. It was deemed an unowed debt and deleted from my credit upon investigation. The creditor didn’t contest it. So now what can I do about the wage garnishment? Can I take this back into court andhave the garnisment overturned?

Asked on September 6, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You certainly have nothing to lose.  And I would take it a step further and ask for a total accounting of the matter to determine if they were over payed and for reimbursement if they were.  Judgement creditors are unscrupulous at times and in this economy especially.  They now how to work the laws and slide in just under the radar of illegality. But the consumer - you - has more rights than ever under the law now and you need to take advantage of them . Check with your local state attorney general's office here as well to see if they can be of any help to your cause.  Sometimes they will even take on the creditor on your behalf in an unjust situation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption