Accident claim

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Accident claim

My son was involved in an
accident on geb 1. He hit ice
and sweved to try and miss car
but hit the car from behind and
damaged his passenger rear
panel. He had damage to his
front but that was to someone
backing into him and he didnt
file a claim. The claim adjustor
claimed the back panel was not
part of the accident and they
fixed the front. I sent an email
to progressive customer service
but did not receive satisfaction.

Asked on March 21, 2019 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The following assumes that the car's owner (whether you or your son--you do not clearly indicate) has NOT yet signed a settlement or release agreement which states that in exchange for the money received or payments made (e.g. to a repair shop), the owner is giving up his right to sue and his claims are deemed satisfied (or that the payment is payment in full of all claims). If the car's owner did sign something to this effect, the owner accepted the insurer's payments as payment in full and may not take legal action.
When the matter has not yet been settled (see above) the car's owner could sue his own insurer (if they are the ones not offering as much as the owner believes appropriate) for "breach of contract," or for violating the terms of the pollcy (which is a contract) by not paying the full value of the claim, for the full amount allegedly due and owing. Or if it is the other driver's insurer not paying, the owner would sue the other driver (not his/her insurer) based on negligence (carelessness) for the amount/cost of the damage. In either event, the owner would have to prove in court that the back panel damage was the result of this accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption