If a woman claimed I rear ended her 14 months ago,, do I need a personal lawyer or will my insurer take care of it?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a woman claimed I rear ended her 14 months ago,, do I need a personal lawyer or will my insurer take care of it?

I did not feel an impact and didn’t even know I had hit her until she came flying out of her car claiming just that. I have her my insurance info and filed a claim later that day. If I did hit her it would have been at less than idling speed since my foot was on the brake, parking. She is now suing me for a paragraph’s worth of personal injury due to my negligence. They could not get any response from her when they tried to contact her regarding the accident after it happened.

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Accident Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your insurer should (assuming you have liability insurance, as you apparently do) take care of the matter up to the limits of their policy coverage; if she is suing you for substantially more than your policy limits, you may need your own attorney, too, since your insurer could, for example, settle by writing her a check for their limit, thereby discharging their responsibility, leaving you on the hook for the balance. The first thing to do is to refer it to your insurer, but bear this possibility in mind.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption