What to do if atelephone company is sending me billis for a number that I don’t own?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if atelephone company is sending me billis for a number that I don’t own?

I used to own an landline phone but I cancelled and closed the account over 2 years ago. However a third party long distance company has recently sent me an invoice asking me to pay balance for long distance calls made from the same number during last month. When I contacted them, they toldme that the original landline carrier is providing the details to them even though their record shows that my account was cancelled. Since the original carrier has filed the charges, I need to pay the dues. When I called the original carrier they are tell me that it’s not their problem.

Asked on January 9, 2012 under General Practice, Illinois


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Don't pay them if you did not make the call. You should not be responsible for their mistake.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption