If a friend pawned his guns and now the pawn shop won’t release the guns back to him due to an old felony charge, can I buy them back for him?

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a friend pawned his guns and now the pawn shop won’t release the guns back to him due to an old felony charge, can I buy them back for him?

What are the legal ramifications?

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Criminal Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your friend cannot legally possess a firearm, then the pawn shop is correct in that they cannot release the guns back to him.  You can buy the guns back for him and take them in your possession.  However, you may want to hold on to them for him until the issue regarding his status is finally resolved.  By returning guns to someone you know (or should know) is prohibited from having a firearm could potentially get you in trouble.  So... plan of action should be to get the guns, hold the guns, and then have him get with a criminal attorney to get his status as a prohibited person cleared up.  Make sure that you talk to a criminal attorney who is versed in federal and criminal laws.  They are not exactly the same, so you want to make sure you and your friend are compliant with both sets of rules.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption