If adetective called and wants to see me, what do I do?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If adetective called and wants to see me, what do I do?

A detective called me and left a message saying they want to see me. I did not return the call and she called again the next day. This time she said if she doesn’t hear from me she will “write a warrant for me”. Can they issue a warrant if you don’t come in to see them? Does that mean they think they have evidence against me? I did call the detective back and it’s about a theft. She said I won’t be arrested but why would she say that? Can they lie to you like that to get you to come in? And why mention a warrant for me? I don’t know what to do and I’m scared.

Asked on October 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under no circumstances should you speak with the police without having an attorney present with you. As it stands right now, you are under no obligation to go in and any answer questions. The fact is that you could inadvertently say something incriminating about yourself regarding the crime under investigation. Even if the police come to your home to question you, you do not need to speak with them. 

Questioning you without your having legal counsel is to their benefit. The police will try and get you to implicate yourself.  So no matter how friendly they may appear ("There is just some minor background information that we need"), or conversely, no matter how intimidating they seem ("It would be in your best interests to speak with us"), do not do so without a lawyer tp represent you.   

At this point, you need to consult with a criminal law attorney in your area ASAP.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption