What can I do if a credit account was opened in my name by a company without my authorization?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if a credit account was opened in my name by a company without my authorization?

A lazer hair removal company opened a credit account in my name. I did not authorize this. I had intended to pay by credit card and I cancelled the services. They said they would refund the charge. This never happened. I disputed through GE that I did not authorize the account or the charge against it. They hey state they never received my documents and continued asking me to pay – which I stopped doing. The signature on the application is not authentically mine. After years of fighting, they removed the negative credit reporting but sold the bad debt to a collector.

Asked on August 18, 2011 Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a negative mark on your credit as a result of the credit account that was opened in your name that you did not authorize, there are companies that do credit repair for people such as you. You might consider retaining a company doing this type of service to assist in clearing up any lingering credit reporting results.

If the debt was sold to a collection agency, but no lawsuit has been filed yet, possibly the statute of limitations has passed to preclude any lawsuit.

As to the credit account opened in your name without your authorization, the way to possibly resolve this issue (even though this happened long ago) is to write this company a letter about what happened and address the fact that the account was not authorized by you. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference and in it, request a written response as to its intent in eliminating the debt assessed against you sold to a collection agency long ago.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption