Can a landlord be required to pay hotel expenses for a tenant while plumbing/sewer repairs are being made?

UPDATED: May 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a landlord be required to pay hotel expenses for a tenant while plumbing/sewer repairs are being made?

I was required to stay in a hotel for 2 days because sewage was backing up in the bathtub and also in the kitchen. The landlord taped the toilet closed and put a label on it saying “Do not use”. I took pictures of the toilet and the floor in the kitchen where the carpet was soaking wet from the sewage overflowing on the floor. At that point I went to a hotel for 2 days because I had no running water in the home (he turned the water off to the house to stop the overflow of the sewage).

Asked on May 25, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What a horrible thing to happen! Maybe.  Maybe not.  But you can certainly ask for it when you bring an action to abate the rent for the time that your apartment was uninhabitable.  You can not just deduct the rent for the two days from the monthly rent but the court must order the reduction.  You are definitely entitled to a break and should ask for other remedies"in the alternative" should the court not grant the abatement or in addition to the court granting the abatement.  And you should ask for the fee for the hotel plus possibly food as you could not cook at home.  And make sure that the problem is fixed before anything else. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption