What are my rights if a co-worker is trying to prevent me from getting a promotion by using my previous mugshots?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if a co-worker is trying to prevent me from getting a promotion by using my previous mugshots?

I am being offered a promotion at work. A co-worker has looked up my information and found mugshots from previous arrests. She has shown these to

co-workers and tried to get one of them to email the mugshots to the manager

above my manager. I want to know if I have any legal recourse for harassment

or slander?

Asked on September 20, 2016 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not appear to have any legal recourse: 
1) Harassment is harassment of you--not sending other people information about you.
2) Slander is the making of untrue factual statements to others which damage your reputation--but if these are actually your mugshots, then it's not untrue, and truth statements (or pictures, etrc.) are not slander.
3) There is no law preventing employee A from trying to prevent employee B from getting or promotion, or even trying to get employee B fired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption