workers comp wrongful termination

i was recently forced to resign from my
job. i felt i was set up by my manager is
there anything i can do. two i have a
workers comp claim that never got
settled but i still had to pay for what
can i do about that.

Asked on March 13, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

Resigning (or being fired) does not invalidate a worker's compensation claim for a job-related injury suffered while still employed. If you were hurt while employed, you are entitled to worker's compensation. You can still pursue your claim.
Note that while you state that you were "forced to resign," legally there is no such thing as being forced to resign: either you resigned (chose to leave) or you were terminated (fired). If you resign for any reason, including to avoid being fired, it is simply treated as a resignation: as a voluntary decision to leave employment. There is no legal difference between resigning under pressure or resigning to pursue a better opportunity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.