Will I still go to jail because the police found a pipe in my car but don’t have any names or information to give them?

I got pulled over for crossing the line while trying to answer my phone. They searched my car and found a pipe, however they did not take me to jail. The officer asked if I would contact him later in the week and wanted me to give them people’s names. I didn’t because I don’t know any, so he told me to call later in the week to speak with him. He acted as if he was concerned about me but I’m scared that when I call him and tell him I don’t know anybody, I’ll go to jail?

Asked on April 14, 2017 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You could face charges for drug paraphenalia if the authorities believe that the circumstances and evidence show that this pipe must have belonged to you (e.g. your fingerprints on it; no one else steps forward to claim it and you don't have any credible explanation for it; etc.). If you are convicted, yes, you could do jail time. While no one can predict for certain what the authorities will or will not do, it is certainly possible that if you do not provide any useful information, that the authorities will decide to charge you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.