Will my possession convictionsgo away afterI turn 18?

When I was 15 I got charged and pled guilty to a possession by consumption. I didn’t understand my probation though so I blew it off. Now I am 17, almost 18, and I got caught smoking weed and recieved actual possession this time. The judge went very easy on me because I’m in school and I work full-time. When I turn 18, is this going to all be put behind me? Also, if I were were to get another possession after Iturn 18 would that be a felony? One was only a possession by consumption so I’m really not sure.

Asked on February 27, 2012 under Criminal Law, Wyoming


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It would be helpful if you put the actual sections that you pled guilty to as I am not sure this is a New York case. In New York, the only way possession of marijuana can become a felony is if you possess over eight ounces of it.  Prior convictions do not increase the charge.  Also in New York, you can get a marijuana ACD under Criminal Procedure Law 170.56 which dismisses and seals the charge after one year if you stay out of trouble, regardless of your age.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.