Who pays my medical bills after a car accident?

I was a passenger in a car that was rear-ended and our car then rear-ended the car in front of us. The driver who hit us was cited for following too close. Went to hospital via ambulance for whiplash, etc. I’m receiving medical bills from ER, attending physicians, etc. This week went to orthopedic specialist who did X-rays and recommended 6 weeks of physical therapy. The orthopod demanded payment from me that day, as they do not do

Asked on February 26, 2016 under Accident Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you have your own insurance coverage that will pay or at least reimburse you, send it to them. Otherwise, you will have to pay the medical bills yourself--in accepting treatment, you made yourself liable for them--and then get the money from the at-fault driver or their insurer, either via settlement or after suing, winning, and getting a judgment. You say you "can't" go out of pocket and wait for reimbursement, but that is exactly what you have to do in this case: the other side is not obligated to pay your medical until and unless they voluntarily agree to pay (settlement) or are found liable (judgement) after trial.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.