What to do if while eating sweet and sour chicken from a restaurant my husband broke a tooth?

Asked on August 24, 2013 under Personal Injury, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

When this incident occurred, your husband should have immediately informed the restaurant and the restaurant should have written documentation of this incident.  If that didn't occur, it may be difficult to prove that the broken tooth occurred at that particular restaurant.

Your husband has a personal injury claim which should be filed with the restaurant's insurance carrier.  When your husband completes his dental treatment and is released by the dentist, he should obtain his dental bills, dental report and documentation of any wage loss.

Your husband's personal injury claim filed with the restaurant's insurance carrier should include those items.  Compensation for the dental bills is straight reimbursement.  The dental report will document the nature and extent of the injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the dental bill.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.

If the case is settled with the restaurant's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.  If your husband is dissatisfied with settlement offers from the restaurant's insurance carrier, he should reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the restaurant.  If the case is NOT settled with the restaurant's insurance carrier, your husband's lawsuit for negligence against the restaurant must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your husband will lose his rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.