Where to file felony theft charges?

The treasurer of my organization has stolen thousands of dollars. Do we file charges in the county where the organization is located or do we file in the county where the treasurer lives?

Asked on August 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You do not file felony theft charges against someone with the court. Rather, you contact law enforcement and make a complaint over the incident that you are writing about. Based upon the submitted report by law enforcement to the district attorney's office a criminal complaint may or may not be filed.

You should contact law enforcement in the county where you believe the incident concerning the theft occurred.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.