Where should a foreigner who married a U.S. citizen report taxes?

I am a Polish citizen and am going to marry a U.S. citizen soon. I will move permanently to U.S. after getting married. However, I still work for a Polish company and am going to continue doing it after my move to U.S. (I work from home). Where should I report my taxes? When does a new resident stop paying taxes in his homeland and start to do it in U.S.?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are living in the US and working in the US (it does not matter if it is for a Polish company), you should be paying taxes and filing tax returns in the US.  You should start doing so after you get married and file for your permanent resident status on the basis of marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.