Is it legal for a landlord to enter the property without notice simply to check the place?

This is in regards to an accessory space i am renting. It is not a live in space. I am renting an artist studio that is an accessory building of the landlords. I am under the impression that in order for the landlord to enter the premises to check on the place, they must provide 24hr written notice to do so. There is no repair claim. the landlord is coming in without notice and inspecting the place, invading my privacy without cause. Once more they refuse to listen to my claim that they must provide 24hr notice? I don’t live here but i work here and store my belongings here.

Asked on January 11, 2013 under Real Estate Law, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are correct. If  this is space solely rented by you (i.e. it's not a common area for use by other tenants and/or the landlord as well), then the landlord may not enter it without prior  reasonable notice except in the case of an emergency  (e.g. to perform emergency maintenance or repairs; if someone is or may be  injured  inside and the landlord needs  to let paramedics or police in; in case of fire or gas  leak; etc.).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.